Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These are very thin baguettes with a light, crisp crust
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus rising
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 4 loaves
- 3 1 / 2 cups bread flour
- one 1 / 4 oz ( 7g) envelope instant (fast-acting) yeast
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 1 / 2 cups tepid water
- 2 / 3 cup boiling water
- Mix the flour, yeast, and 1 tsp of the salt in a large bowl. Add the tepid water and stir to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface for 8-10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions. Roll each into a 12in (30cm) rope. Place 2 ficelles on each of 2 large baking trays. Cover the loaves with oiled plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Dissolve the remaining 3 tsp salt in the boiling water. Brush the salted water over the loaves. Use a sharp knife to make 4 diagonal slashes in the top of each loaf. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until light gold. After 10 minutes, switch the positions of the baking sheets from top to bottom to ensure even baking.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm, with lots of butter.
- prep 15 mins, plus rising; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!