These crisp Italian cookies are loaded with fruits and nuts and coated with thin layers of luxurious dark chocolate
Prep Time: prep 40 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes about 18 cookies
- 1 / 3 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 / 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 / 4 cup chopped mixed candied peel
- 1 / 4 cup finely chopped candied cherries
- 1 / 4 cup finely chopped sliced blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6oz ( 175g) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the sugar, butter, and honey together in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat and let cool until just warm. Stir in the flour, candied peel, cherries, almonds, cream, and lemon juice. Drop teaspoons of the dough, spaced 11/2in (3.5cm) apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until pale brown. Do not let them get too dark. Let cool on the baking sheets for about 3 minutes to set, then transfer to a wire cake rack and cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of hot, not simmering, water. Remove from the heat. Spread a thin layer of chocolate on the flat side of each cookie, and return to the wire rack, upside down, to set. Repeat with a second layer of chocolate. Just before they set, make a wavy line in the chocolate with the tines of a fork.
- prep 40 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!