Fruit and Nut Muffins
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
You can choose which fruits and nuts you want in these tasty muffins.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine or light butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, blueberries, cranberries, or dark raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts
- Place the flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the yogurt, applesauce, margarine or butter, and egg whites in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the dried fruit and nuts.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill three-fourths full with the batter. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.