Make this delicious and versatile dessert with your favorite summer berries
Prep Time: prep 40 mins, plus chilling
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 / 3 cup sugar
- 1 / 4 cup whole milk
- 8oz ( 225g) raspberries and/or blackberries
- 3 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 1 / 4 cups heavy cream
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and milk in a saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon over low heat until slightly thickened, but do not boil. Remove from the heat.
- Purée the berries in a blender. Strain through a wire sieve into a large bowl to remove the seeds. Stir into the yolk mixture.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over 2 tbsp of cold water in a small bowl. Let stand 5 minutes, or until spongy. Place in a shallow pan of barely simmering water and stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool until tepid.
- Slowly stir the gelatin into the berry mixture. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream, then the egg whites, into the fruit mixture. Divide among the dessert glasses and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set. Serve chilled.
- prep 40 mins, plus chilling
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!