Fruity oatmeal squares (with gluten-free option)
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These sweet, golden squares are full of dried fruit and other good things. A great snack with a cup of tea or in a lunch box, they keep your energy levels up without ruining your appetite.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: makes 16
Egg & nut free
- scant 1/2 cup butter or margarine, plus extra for the baking pan
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 2 generous tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 3 tbsp golden raisins
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 3 tbsp dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 7 ื 11 inch baking pan.
- Melt the butter or margarine with the sugar and syrup in a large saucepan.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking pan and press out firmly into the corners, using the back of a wet spoon. Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes or until a rich golden brown. Check after 20 minutes to ensure the edges are not getting too brown.
- Let cool slightly then cut into 16 squares. Cool completely in the pan then remove and store in an airtight container.
Dairy free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute dairy-free spread for the butter or ordinary margarine.
Gluten free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute millet or quinoa flakes for the oats.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!