Ginger cookies are a classic favorite in most households.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Makes 24-30
- 8 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tbsp syrup from a jar of stem ginger
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 pieces stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Beat the butter, sugar, and syrup with the mixer until creamy. Beat in the egg. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground ginger, baking soda and salt; and whisk to blend. Add this to the butter mixture, then mix in the stem ginger.
- Form the dough into walnut-size balls, and place 2in (5cm) apart on the baking sheets. Flatten slightly with your fingers, then bake in two batches for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Omit the stem ginger and syrup and use 1 tablespoon of Lyle's Golden Syrup or molasses instead.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!