Glazed Mocha Brownies
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
The glaze adds moist shine to these coffee/chocolate brownies.
Serves: 12 brownies
- 1 tablespoon hot tap water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2/3 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free egg substitute
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans or almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons skim or low-fat milk
- To make the batter, place the hot water and coffee granules in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, milk powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the brown sugar, and stir to mix well. Use the back of a wooden spoon to press out any lumps in the brown sugar. Add the egg substitute, chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, and coffee mixture, and stir to mix well. Set the batter aside for 15 minutes.
- If desired, stir the nuts into the batter. Coat the bottom only of an 8-x-8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the mixture in the pan. Bake at 325°F for about 22 minutes, or just until the edges are firm and the center is almost set. Be careful not to overbake. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- To make the glaze, place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Place the vanilla extract in another small bowl, add the coffee granules, and stir to dissolve the granules. Add the vanilla mixture and the milk to the sugar, and stir to mix well, adding a little more milk if the glaze seems too thick. Microwave on high power for about 30 seconds, or until hot and runny.
- Drizzle the hot glaze back and forth over the cooled brownies. Allow the brownies to sit for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. For easier cutting, rinse the knife off periodically.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.