Gluten-Free Brown Bread
There's been a revival in bread-making at home. Here's a lovely, grainy, seed-studded whole-wheat bread.
Prep Time: 6M, plus rising
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: makes 1 large loaf
Gluten, dairy, and nut free
- generous 2 cups brown rice flour
- 3 tbsp soy flour
- 1 tbsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 11/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nut-free flavorless vegetable oil, plus a little extra for the loaf tin
- 11/2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 13/4 cups lukewarm water
- Oil a 2 lb loaf pan or a deep 8 inch round cake pan.
- Mix the flours with the xanthan gum, seeds, and salt in a food processor (with the ordinary blade attachment) or in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Either run the machine until it forms a sticky dough, then run it for 1 minute to knead it, or mix everything with a wooden spoon or hand beater, beating well for 1 minute once combined.
- Transfer to the pan and smooth the surface. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until the dough reaches the top of the pan, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400° F. Remove the plastic wrap and bake in the oven until risen, golden, and the base sounds hollow when the loaf is tipped out and tapped, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- You can also make this in the bread machine. Add the wet ingredients then the dry. Set the machine to "basic." This isn't suitable for cooking on the timer.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!