Gluten-Free Chocolate Layer Cake
Ideal for celebrations and birthdays, this chocolate cake is delicious, and gluten-free.
Prep Time: 35M
Cooking Time: 45M
Serves: serves 10-12
- a little flavorless oil for cake pans
- 6 eggs
- 11/2 cups superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 13/4 cups soy flour
- generous 1 cup potato flour
- generous 1/2 cup gluten-free unsweetened cocoa powder
- 11/2 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Oil two deep 8 inch round cake pans and line the bases with parchment paper.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and add the sugar. Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and whisk with an electric whisk until thick and pale and the mixture leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture-this will take several minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pan. Gradually add the melted butter or margarine in a thin trail, whisking all the time. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flours, cocoa, and baking powder over the surface. Add the milk. Gently fold in with a metal spoon, using a figure eight motion.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared pans, and use a palette knife or spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until risen and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the parchment paper and let cool completely.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!