Gramma Lane's Lemon Pie
This old-style dessert isn't too sweet and it has a delicious, lemony flavor.
Serves: Serves 6 generously
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup + 1⁄3 cup water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 TB. + 2 tsp. corn starch
- 3 egg yolks, beaten, in a small bowl or measuring cup
- 1 TB. butter
- In the top part of a double boiler (if you've got one), heat sugar and 1 cup water. Add lemon juice.
- Put remaining 1⁄3 cup water in a bowl or measuring cup, and whisk in corn starch until blended and smooth.
- Slowly add to the double boiler, stirring. It will thicken.
- Add a spoonful lemon mixture to the beaten egg yolks, stirring (this is to start warming up the yolks). Add two more spoonfuls, stirring. Repeat one more time.
- Then pour egg mixture into double boiler, stirring, along with butter.
- Pour mixture into a pre-baked pie shell and put it into the fridge to set.
- Top with whipped cream for a quick topping or meringue for a complete lemon cream or lemon meringue pie.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.