Grampa Phil's Pudding Pie
Sprinkle chocolate shavings on the whipped cream to add a final, delicious touch to this pudding pie.
Serves: Serves 8
- 21⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 oz. unsweetened solid baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 TB. flour
- 3 TB. cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten, in a bowl or measuring cup
- 11⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. butter
- In the top part of a double boiler (if you've got one), heat 2 cups milk, sugar, chocolate, and salt (all over the bottom part, which contains a few inches of boiling water). A saucepan can be used instead, but stir constantly. Heat until just simmering.
- Place remaining 1⁄2 cup milk in a small bowl or measuring cup, and with a fork mix in flour and cornstarch until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour milk-and-flour mixture into milk-and-chocolate mixture on the stove, stirring constantly.
- Add a spoonful of chocolate mixture to beaten eggs, stirring. Add two more spoonfuls, stirring. Then pour egg mixture into pudding, stirring.
- Cook for one minute, add vanilla and butter, cook for one minute longer, then serve.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.