Honey Bran Muffins
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Honey is as versatile as sugar, and better for you than corn syrup in these honey bran muffins.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups wheat bran
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons walnut or vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots or prunes
- Place the bran and buttermilk in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to mix well, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place the flour and baking soda in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the bran mixture and the honey, oil, egg whites, and vanilla extract, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the apricots or prunes.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill three-fourths full with the batter. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.