Hot Chocolate Cakes
Type: Valentine's Day
A treat for all chocoholics! As if like magic, these very rich, very easy desserts bake until a light cake surrounds a rich, creamy chocolate center.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 9oz ( 250g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter, softened, plus more for the custard cups
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Generously butter the inside of six 6oz (175g) custard cups, and line each with a round of wax paper. Butter the paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over, but not in, a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla. Sift the flour and salt together and stir into the batter, then stir in the chocolate. Divide the batter among the cups. Place the cups on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the sides are set but the centers are still soft. Top each cup with a serving plate. Protecting your hands with a kitchen towel, invert both to unmold the cake. Remove the wax paper. Serve hot.
- six 6oz (175ml) custard cups or ramekins
- Prepare ahead: The cakes can be prepared through step 3 and stored at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
- Good with a dollop of softly whipped cream or hot custard sauce flavored with grated orange zest.
- Leftovers can be coarsely chopped and spooned over vanilla ice cream with hot fudge sauce to make a special sundae.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!