Indian pudding takes some time to bake, but you don't have to keep a careful eye on your oven while it does.
Serves: Serves: 8
- 3/4 cup (4 1/2 ounces) yellow cornmeal
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Cool Whip Lite
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and 1 cup skim milk.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining 3 cups skim milk just to boiling point.
- Lower heat and gradually stir cornmeal mixture into hot milk, using a wire whisk. Mix well until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in Sugar Twin, molasses, apple pie spice, and salt. Continue simmering for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 30 minutes. Divide into 8 servings. When serving, top each with 2 table-spoons Cool Whip Lite.
- Also good with 1/2 cup raisins stirred in before baking.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.