Lemon and Praline Meringues
These individual cakes should be assembled at the last minute
Prep Time: prep 35 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1 1/2 hrs
Serves: makes 6 servings
For the meringues
- 3 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 3 / 4 cup sugar
For the praline
- vegetable oil, for the baking sheet
- 1 / 3 cup sugar
- 1 / 2 cup whole blanched almonds
- pinch of cream of tartar
For the filling
- 2 / 3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp store-bought lemon curd
- 3oz (85g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (130°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the meringues, beat the egg whites and salt with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar until the meringue is stiff and glossy. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4in (6mm) star tip. Pipe the meringue on the baking sheet into six 4in (10cm) rounds. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until hard and crisp.
- Meanwhile, to make the praline, oil another baking sheet. Combine the sugar, almonds, and cream of tartar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup is golden. Pour onto the baking sheet. Let stand until cool, and chop the praline.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the lemon curd. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan pan of gently simmering water. Spread each meringue with melted chocolate, and let set. Top with the lemon cream and sprinkle with praline. Serve immediately with a little chocolate. Allow to set, then pile the lemon curd cream on top, sprinkle with praline and serve.
- prep 35 mins; cook 11/2 hrs
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!