Lightning Strawberry Shortcake
Fresh, sweet fruit makes this quick dessert recipe a favorite for everyone.
Serves: Serves 6
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, caps removed, and cut into quarters
- 3 TB. sugar
- 21⁄4 cups baking mix (the kind that only requires addition of milk)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Prepare strawberries, sprinkle with sugar, and set aside in a covered bowl to macerate.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Pour baking mix into a large bowl and stir in milk to create dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured counter and knead for 30 seconds. Flatten dough with your hands to about 1⁄2 inch thick.
- Cut into your favorite shape (circles if you have a cookie cutter, squares, triangles … have some fun!), place on an ungreased baking pan or cookie sheet, and bake for eight minutes or until browned and crusty.
- When done, cool to handling temperature and slice horizontally so you have two flat pieces.
- Distribute bottom pieces to serving plates, top each with a large spoonful of strawberries and juice. Place top of each biscuit on strawberries, and top each with the remaining strawberry and juice mixture. Top with whipped cream.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.