Lite and Luscious Key Lime Pie
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Key lime pie is best with a dollop of whipped topping and a sprinkling of coconut.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 prebaked Lite Graham Cracker Pie Crust made with plain graham crackers
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 1 1/8 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup key lime juice, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free or low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup nonfat or light whipped topping (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
- To make the filling, place the egg substitute in a blender, and sprinkle the gelatin over the egg. Set aside for 2 minutes to allow the gelatin to soften.
- Place 1/4 cup of the lime juice in a small bowl. If using a microwave oven, microwave uncovered on high for about 1 minute, or until the juice comes to a boil. If using a conventional stovetop, place the juice in a small pot, and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute, or until it comes to a boil.
- Add the boiling lime juice to the blender, place the lid on, and blend for about 1 minute, or until the ingredients are well mixed and the gelatin is completely dissolved. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of lime juice, and blend for about 30 seconds, or until well mixed. Add the condensed milk, and blend for about 1 minute, or until well mixed. Immediately pour the filling into the crust.
- Cover and chill for at least 6 hours, or until set, before cutting into wedges and serving. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons of whipped topping and a sprinkling of coconut, if desired.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.