Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
The recipe outlined here, with ripe mangoes, is just a template for making refreshing sorbet with other seasonal fruits
Prep Time: 15M, plus freezing
Cooking Time: 10M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- Purée the mangoes in a food processor. Strain through a wire sieve to remove any fibers. Refrigerate.
- Bring 11/4 cups water and the sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Stir the syrup and lemon juice into the mango purée. Beat the egg white until soft peaks form and fold into the mango mixture. Pour the mixture into a covered container and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until slushy. Mash with a fork to break up any ice crystals. Freeze until solid. (Or, pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to use.)
- Scoop into serving dishes and serve immediately.
- freeze for up to 3 months
Melon Sorbet: Substitute 1 seeded and chopped cantaloupe for the mangoes. Increase the sugar to 11/4 cups.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!