Maple Oatmeal Cookies
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup flavor these oatmeal cookies.
Serves: 40 cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- Place the flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the maple syrup, water, oil, and vanilla extract, and stir to mix well. Finally, add the raisins and nuts, and stir to mix well.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of dough onto the sheet, placing them 1 1/2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each cookie with the tip of a spoon.
- Bake at 300°F for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool the cookies on the pan for 2 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to wire racks, and cool completely. Serve immediately, or transfer to an airtight container.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.