Here's a quick and easy way to make the perfect topping for pies and cakes.
Serves: Serves 6
- Whites from 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 4 TB. sugar
- Preheat the broiler. Allow egg whites to reach room temperature. (If you use whites from making a lemon pie, all you need to do is leave them out while you finish the pie.)
- Add salt and cream of tartar and beat rapidly until mixture expands and forms stiff peaks when you lift the beaters.
- Add sugar slowly, gently folding it into stiff egg whites so as not to deflate them.
- The meringue will firm up.
- Spread over pie; place under the broiler for four minutes or until meringue begins to brown.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.