Moist Cornmeal Muffins
For muffins that are light and tender, be sure to use only finely ground cornmeal.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 2 cups finely ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten, or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- Place the cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the egg whites or eggs, buttermilk, and honey, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill three-fourths full with the batter. Bake at 350° about 16 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.