Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These chewy bars, known as flapjacks in Britain, use only a few pantry ingredients
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus cooling
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 16-20
- 1 cup butter, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 3 1 / 2 cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Lightly butter a 9in (23cm) square baking pan.
- Heat the butter, brown sugar, and syrup in a large saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the oats.
- Spread evenly in the pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until evenly golden and just beginning to brown at the edges.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Cut into bars and let cool completely.
- prep 15 mins, plus cooling; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!