Orange Burst Granita
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Granita-an icy Italian confection-is always fat-free. This version uses no refined sugar and is bursting with fresh orange flavor.
Serves: 4 servings
- 3 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons frozen (thawed) orange juice concentrate
- Pour the orange juice and juice concentrate into an 8-inch square pan, and stir to mix well.
- Place the pan in the freezer, and freeze for 25 minutes, or until ice crystals begin to form around the sides of the pan. Using a spoon, stir the frozen crystals from around the edges and bottom of the pan back into the liquid portion. Repeat the scraping process every 20 minutes for about 2 hours, or until the mixture is icy and granular.
- Spoon the granita into four 10-ounce balloon wine glasses, and serve immediately.
- To make Orange Burst Granita with less fuss, pour the juice mixture into 2 ice cube trays, and freeze for at least 3 hours, or until frozen solid. (Remove the cubes from the trays and transfer them to freezer bags if you want to partially prepare the granita several days ahead of time.) Just before serving, place the ice cubes in the bowl of a food processor, and process for several minutes, pulsing and scraping the mixture down the sides of the bowl until small crystals are formed. Spoon the granita into serving dishes, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.