Orange Marmalade Muffins
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Pecans and orange marmalade are a taste delight in these hearty muffins.
Serves: 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
- 1 cup oat bran or wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine or light butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or 3/4 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries (optional)
- Place the flour, bran, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the milk, marmalade, margarine or butter, egg whites, and vanilla extract in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the pecans or blueberries, if desired.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray, and fill three-fourths full with the batter. Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.