Brightly colored and vibrantly flavored, a citrus sorbet is a satisfying summer dessert
Prep Time: prep 10 mins, plus freezing
Cooking Time: cook 15 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 large oranges
- 3 / 4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 large egg white
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the oranges. Bring the sugar and 11/4 cups water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the orange zest and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Squeeze the juice from the oranges and stir into the syrup, along with the orange blossom water.
- Strain the orange mixture into a bowl. Beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually stir the orange mixture into the white.
- To freeze the sorbet without an ice cream machine, pour the mixture into a metal baking dish. Freeze for at least 4 hours, until almost frozen solid. Mash with a fork to break up any ice crystals, then freeze until solid. If using an ice cream machine, follow the manufacturer's directions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to use.
- prep 10 mins, plus freezing; cook 15 mins
Lemon Sorbet: Substitute 3 lemons for the oranges. Omit the orange blossom water.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!