Pears Poached in Wine
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Wine gives a great depth of flavor to cooked fruit
Prep Time: prep 5 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 firm ripe pears
- 1 cup hearty red wine
- 1 / 4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- one 3in ( 7.5cm) cinnamon stick
- 1 / 4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- Peel the pears, leaving the stems attached. Cut a small slice from the bottom of each so that the pears will stand up.
- Stir the wine, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the pears to the saucepan and cover.
- Simmer, frequently turning and basting the pears, for 20 minutes, or until the pears are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a deep serving dish. Discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Boil until the wine mixture is syrupy and reduced by about one-third. Pour the syrup over the pears.
- Serve warm or let cool in the syrup and refrigerate until chilled.
- prep 5 mins; cook 30 mins
Pears in White Wine: Substitute white wine or cider for the red wine, and the result will be paler and more golden in color. Choose a sweet white wine or cider.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!