Pecan and Maple Tart
This sweet, crunchy pie is a true all-American dessert. This version uses maple syrup
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus chilling
Cooking Time: cook 45 mins
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
- 1 refrigerated pie dough round for a 9in ( 23cm) pie
- 3 / 4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 / 3 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp butter
- pinch salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3 / 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a 9in (23cm) pie dish with the pie dough. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Line the dough with wax paper, then fill with baking beans. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until the pastry looks set. Remove the paper and beans and prick the dough again. Bake for about 10 minutes more, until the pastry is beginning to brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, cook the brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and cool until tepid. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla. Stir in the pecans, then pour into the tart shell.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, or until the filling is barely set. Tent the tart with aluminum foil if it is browning too quickly. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan. Serve warm, or cool completely.
- prep 15 mins, plus chilling; cook 45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!