Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Crisp and juicy, these must be served immediately
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus resting
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3 / 4 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 / 3 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, 1 separated
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1 / 2 in ( 1.5cm) rings, then cut in half crosswise
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- confectioner's sugar, to serve
- To make the batter combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk, 1 egg, and 1 egg yolk. Whisk quickly until smooth and lump-free.
- Beat the egg white until stiff peaks form, and fold gently into the batter.
- Add enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large frying pan, and heat to 350°F (180°C) over high heat. Dip the pineapple into the batter, then carefully add to the oil. Deep-fry for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Sift confectioner's sugar on top and serve hot.
- prep 20 mins, plus resting; cook 10 mins
Banana Fritters: Use 4 bananas, each cut in half lengthwise then in half crosswise, instead of pineapple.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!