Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This late-summer dessert is suitable for both family suppers and dinner parties for friends
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 30-40 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
For the topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 / 3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 / 3 cup rolled (old-fashioned) oats
For the fruit
- 1lb 5oz (600g) plums, halved and pitted
- maple syrup or honey, to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). To make the topping, combine the flour and butter in a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture is combined. Work in the sugar and oats. The mixture should remain lumpy.
- Spread the plums in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with the maple syrup. Crumble the topping over the plums. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the juices are bubbling.
- prep 10 mins; cook 30-40 mins
Rhubarb Crumble: Use 1lb 10oz (750g) rhubarb, cut into 1in (2.5cm) lengths. Generously drizzle the rhubarb with honey and a squeeze of orange juice, then crumble the topping over the fruit and bake.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!