Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This poached fruit recipe is easy because you don't have to peel the fruit, and it's a wonderfully healthy dessert!
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced, rind peeled and cut into strips
- 3 cloves
- Handful torn mint leaves
- Make a poaching syrup: Bring to a boil the water, sugar, lemon juice, strips of lemon rind, and cloves.
- Prepare the fruits: If you prefer, you do not have to peel them. In general, just remove all seeds and pits, slice larger fruits, and halve the smaller ones like apricots and plums. If you have a cherry pitter, leave the cherries whole; if not, halve them, too. Leave the grapes whole.
- Add any combination of fruits to the boiling syrup, allowing one large and several smaller fruits per person. Poach, uncovered, for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lift the fruit carefully from the syrup with a slotted spoon and place it in a serving bowl.
- Reduce the syrup another 8 to 10 minutes, remove the cloves, and pour over the fruits. Cool in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with mint leaves if desired.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright Â© 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.