Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These smooth potato pancakes are addictive, especially topped with lots of butter. In Scotland, they are called "tattie scones"
Prep Time: prep 30 mins
Cooking Time: cook 18 mins
Serves: makes 8 scones
- 1lb ( 450g) baking potatoes, such as Burbank or russet, peeled and diced
- 1 / 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 / 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 / 2 tsp salt
- vegetable oil, for the griddle
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Then place in a bowl and mash until smooth using a potato masher.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the warm mashed potatoes, and mix well to make a pliable dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth. Pat the dough into a 7in (18cm) square. Cut the dough into quarters, then cut each in half diagonally to make 8 triangles.
- Brush a griddle pan lightly with oil and heat until hot. Add the scones and cook, turning halfway through, about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot or warm.
- prep 30 mins; cook 18 mins
Savory Potato Scones: Add finely chopped fried onion, dried mixed herbs, or even curry powder to the mashed potato dough before rolling out.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!