Praline Pumpkin Pie
Brown sugar and toasted pecans add flair to the pumpkin filling in this pie recipe.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 unbaked Flaky Oat Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked or canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey crunch wheat germ or finely chopped toasted pecans
- * If you don't have any pumpkin pie spice on hand, you can use 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- To make the topping, place the brown sugar and the wheat germ or pecans in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- To make the filling, place the pumpkin, brown sugar, pie spice, and vanilla extract in a large bowl, and whisk to mix well. Add the milk and egg substitute, and whisk again to mix.
- Pour the filling into the crust, and bake uncovered at 400°F for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350şF, and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Sprinkle the topping over the pie, and bake for about 25 additional minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Allow the pie to cool to room temperature before cutting into wedges and serving. Or refrigerate and serve chilled.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.