Allspice, pumpkin, and cinnamon infuse this gingerbread.
Serves: 32 1 slice servings
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed cooked or canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup apple or orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup dark raisins or chopped dates
- Place the flour, sugar, baking soda, ginger, allspice, and cinnamon in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the pumpkin, apple or orange juice, oil, and molasses, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the raisins or dates.
- Coat four 1-pound cans* with nonstick cooking spray. Divide the batter evenly among the cans, and tap each can onto a flat surface to smooth out the batter. Bake at 300°F for about 45 minutes, or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes. Invert the loaves onto a wire rack, turn right side up, and cool to room temperature. Wrap the loaves in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and let sit for several hours before slicing and serving. (This will give the loaves a softer, moister crust.) Refrigerate any leftovers not eaten within 24 hours. * Use only cans from foods produced in the United States, as cans from imported foods may contain lead.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.