Pumpkin Power Bread
The power in this pumpkin bread comes from the secret ingredients -- pineapple and apricots!
Serves: Serves: 8
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 9 X 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, baking soda, allspice and apricots in bowl or plastic bag; stir or shake until mixed.
- Combine pumpkin, pineapple, egg substitute and sugar in large bowl; mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon (do not use electric mixer) until all ingredients are mixed.
- Spoon batter into loaf pan; bake 40 to 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing. Pumpkin bread can be refrigerated or frozen; reheat in microwave on High about 15 seconds per thawed slice or 30 to 45 seconds for frozen slices.
- Slice fruit and nut breads while partially frozen to prevent crumbling.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.