Red Fruit Medley
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
When summer berries are in season, make this German-style compote, Rote Grutze
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 5 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 8oz ( 240g) bing cherries, pitted
- 6oz ( 175g) raspberries
- 6oz ( 175g) red currants, stemmed
- 6oz ( 175g) blackberries
- 6oz ( 175g) strawberries, quartered if large
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Place all the fruit in a saucepan with 2/3 cup water and bring slowly to the boil.
- Combine the sugar and cornflour with 3 tbsp cold water to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir into the fruit. Cook gently, stirring, until the juices begins to thicken.
- Transfer to a bowl. Spoon the mixture into individual dishes.
- prep 10 mins; cook 5 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!