Rhubarb and Ginger Meringue Cake
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Tart rhubarb and spicy ginger combine to make a tasty filling for this delicious meringue cake
Prep Time: prep 30 mins, plus cooling
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr
Serves: makes 6-8 servings
For the meringues
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
For the filling
- 1lb 5oz (700g) rhubarb, trimmed and sliced 1in (2.5cm) thick
- 1 / 2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 / 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup heavy cream
- confectioner's sugar, for sifting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the sugar until the whites are stiff.
- Spread the meringue on the baking sheets into two 7in (18cm) circles. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 250°F (130°C) and bake for 1 hour, until crisp. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook the rhubarb, sugar, chopped ginger, ground ginger, and 2 tbsp water in a large covered saucepan over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until tender. Let cool. If too liquid, drain off some of the juices. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form and fold in the rhubarb. Spread 1 meringue with the rhubarb cream and top with the remaining meringue. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve.
- prep 30 mins, plus cooling; cook 1 hr
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!