Rich Vanilla Buttercream Icing
This simple recipe can be used to ice cupcakes and to sandwich cake layers together
Prep Time: 10M
Serves: makes almost 2 cups
- 8 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp whole milk, as needed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Beat the butter, 2 tbsp milk, and the vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the confectioner's sugar, beating until the frosting is spreadable. If the frosting is too stiff, add the remaining milk.
- Prepare ahead: The icing can be refrigerated in a covered container for 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using. If too stiff to spread, stir in a little extra milk.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!