Rum-Raisin Bread Pudding
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Use a bread with body, like a good multigrain or oatmeal loaf, to add taste and texture to this rum-raisin bread pudding.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 4 cups 1/2-inch cubes firm multigrain or oatmeal bread (about 5 ounces)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free egg substitute
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place the raisins and rum in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the evaporated milk, milk, egg substitute, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl, and whisk until smooth. Pour the milk mixture over the bread cubes, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir the raisin mixture into the bread mixture. Coat a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and pour the mixture into the dish. Sprinkle the sugar over the pudding.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 1 hour, or until a sharp knife inserted in the center of the dish comes out clean. Allow to cool at room temperature for 45 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, refrigerating any leftovers.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.