Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
There is nothing better for afternoon tea than freshly baked flaky scones
Prep Time: prep 25 mins
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 8 scones
- 1 2 / 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1 / 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 / 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cold butter, diced
- 1 / 4 cup raisins
- 2 / 3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten, for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 425癋 (220癈). Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in the raisins and make a well in the center. Pour in the milk and stir quickly to make a soft dough.
- Gently and briefly knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it is smooth. Pat into a round about 1in (2.5cm) thick.
- Cut rounds from the dough using a 21/2in (7cm) diameter cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet. Gather up the scraps, pat out, and cut out more scones until all of the dough is used.
- Brush the tops lightly with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden in color. Transfer to a wire rack and serve warm.
- prep 25 mins; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!