Sesame Seed Rolls
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These little bread rolls can be served with dinner, or used for sandwiches
Prep Time: prep 30 mins, plus 11/2 hrs rising
Cooking Time: cook 20 mins
Serves: makes 8 rolls
- 3 1 / 4 cups bread flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten, for glazing
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- Stir the flour, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Mix 11/2 cups tepid water with the oil, and pour into the well. Stir to make a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface for about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour. Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, and shape each into a ball. Place onto the baking sheet, well separated. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place about 30 minutes, until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 400癋 (200癈). Lightly brush the rolls with the beaten egg and sprinkle each with 1/2 tsp sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- prep 30 mins, plus 11/2 hrs rising; cook 20 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!