Shortbread wedges are simple, sweet, and perfect with a cup of tea.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Makes 8 wedges
- 7 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Lightly grease an 8in (18cm) round cake pan. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Sift in the flour and cornstarch and beat until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Knead lightly to bring it together, then press the dough evenly into the pan and smooth the surface. Prick with a fork, then mark into 8 wedges. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour or until firm. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Bake for 40 minutes or until pale golden and firm to the touch. While still warm, mark the wedges again with a knife, and sprinkle with a little sugar. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool. When cool, cut into wedges.
- To make individual cookies, roll out the dough and cut with a round biscuit cutter; arrange on a baking sheet.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!