Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
These cookies are crumbly, delicious, and difficult to resist. With a gluten-free variation.
Prep Time: 25M, plus chilling time
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: makes 10
Egg & nut free
- 2/3 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- pinch of salt
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flours and salt over the butter and sugar mixture and work in with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to form a dough.
- Draw together with your hands to form a soft dough.
- Knead gently on a board until the mixture forms a ball, then roll out with your hands to a sausage about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the sausage into 10 slices and lay them on the baking sheet. If desired, cut with a fluted pastry cutter to give an attractive edge and remove the excess dough. You can also make them fancier by pricking the centers with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until pale golden brown in colour. Remove from the oven and sprinkle immediately with superfine sugar. Let cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Watch out for rice flour, since it may contain traces of nuts.
Dairy free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute dairy-free spread for the butter and add a few drops of vanilla extract to the mixture to enhance the flavor.
Gluten free also egg & nut free: Follow the recipe for Egg & nut free, but substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour for the ordinary flour.
Excerpted from Allergy-Free Cookbook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!