Sour Cream, Apple, and Almond Tartlets
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
Almonds and apples are the perfect combination for this sweet pastry dessert
Prep Time: prep 20 mins, plus chilling and cooling
Cooking Time: cook 45 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
For the pastry dough
- 1 1 / 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled and diced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
For the filling
- 1 1 / 4 cups sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1 cup almond flour (almond meal)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 / 2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond-flavored liqueur
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Pulse the flour, butter, and sugar, until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the yolk and pulse until the dough begins to clump together. Chill for 30 minutes. Divide the dough into 6 portions, and roll each on a floured work surface into an 1/8in (3mm) thick round to fit a 4in (10cm) tartlet pan. Prick the dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line each tart pan with wax paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 10 minutes, until golden. Remove the pans and reduce the temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- To make the filling, whisk the sour cream, almond flour, eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, liqueur, and vanilla extract. Divide among the pans. Top with the apples and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 minutes, until set. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pans and cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
- prep 20 mins, plus chilling and cooling; cook 45 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!