Sour Cream-Coconut Bundt Cake
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
This sour cream coconut bundt cake is easy to make, but the result is amazing.
Serves: 16 servings
- 1 box (1 pound, 2.25 ounces) reduced-fat or regular yellow, white, or chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (4-serving size) instant coconut pudding mix*
- 1 cup nonfat or light sour cream
- 3/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat or light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut-flavored extract
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- * If you cannot find coconut pudding mix, substitute 1 package of instant vanilla pudding mix plus 3/4 teaspoon of coconut-flavored extract and 2 tablespoons of finely shredded coconut.
- Place the cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Add the sour cream, egg substitute, and water, and beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes, or until well mixed.
- Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the batter evenly in the pan. Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes, or just until the top springs back when lightly touched and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 45 minutes. Then invert onto a serving platter and cool to room temperature.
- To make the glaze, place the powdered sugar, sour cream, and coconut extract in a small bowl, and stir to mix well. If using a microwave oven, place the glaze in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat uncovered at high power for 30 seconds, or until hot and runny. If using a conventional stovetop, place the glaze in a small saucepan, and, stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for about 30 seconds, or until hot and runny.
- Drizzle the hot glaze over the cake, and sprinkle the glaze with the coconut. Allow the cake to sit for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.