Spiced Baked Apples
Isn't it amazing how a few ingredients and some time in the oven can transform the simple apple?
Serves: Serves: 4
- 4 small unpeeled baking apples
- 6 tablespoons purchased graham cracker crumbs or 6 (2 1/2-inch) graham cracker squares, made into crumbs
- 1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Core apples, then pare each 1/4 of the way down. Place apples in an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup Sugar Twin, and pecans. Evenly stuff mixture into center of apples.
- Stir remaining 1/4 cup Sugar Twin and margarine into boiling water. Pour evenly over apples.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender, basting with liquid every 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- A self-seal sandwich bag works great for crushing graham crackers.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.