Spiced Fruit Buns
These delicious sweetened rolls make a perfect snack
Prep Time: prep 30 mins, plus rising
Cooking Time: cook 15-20 mins
Serves: makes 12 buns
- 3 2 / 3 cups bread flour
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- one 1 / 4 oz ( 7g) envelope instant yeast
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 / 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp cold butter, sliced
- 1 cup tepid milk, as needed
- 1 cup chopped mixed dried fruit
- 2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 / 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, spice, and salt. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture looks crumbly. Stir in enough milk to make a soft dough. Knead on a floured work surface for 10 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat, and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place about 1 hour, until doubled.
- Punch down the dough. Knead in the dried fruit. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls place. Place, spaced well apart, on an oiled baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Bake for 15 minutes, or until the buns sound hollow when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Mix the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and 1 tbsp cold water until smooth. Brush over the buns to glaze them, and cool completely.
- prep 30 mins, plus rising; cook 15-20 mins
Maple and Pecan Buns: Substitute maple syrup for the granulated sugar, and chopped pecans for the fruit. Use only about 3/4 cup milk to make the dough.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!