Spiced Honey Cake
Honey and spices give this cake great flavor.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 35M
Serves: Serves 8
- 11/4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup dark or light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line the bottom and sides of an 81/2 ื 41/2 ื 21/2in (21 ื 11 ื 6cm) loaf pan with parchment paper. Sift the flour, spices, and baking soda into a bowl. Heat the honey, butter, and brown sugar in a pan until melted and smooth. Mix into the flour, then stir in the egg and milk until the mixture is well blended. The batter will be runny.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool. To serve, unmold the cake and cut into slices.
- Use a flavored honey, or substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup.
- The cake can be stored for up to 1 week in an airtight container-the flavor will mature and the texture will become pleasantly, deliciously sticky.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!