Spiced Plum Compote
Type: Desserts and Baked Goods
During their late summer to early autumn season, cook with plums often to make simple desserts like this one
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 15-20 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) ripe red plums
- 1 orange
- 1 / 3 cup sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 / 2 cinnamon stick
- Cut the plums in half and remove the pits. Remove the zest from the orange with a vegetable peeler. Squeeze the juice.
- Combine the sugar, 11/4 cups water, orange zest and juice, star anise, and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the plums and stir gently. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8-15 minutes until the plums are tender, but still hold their shape. Discard the star anise, cinnamon stick, and orange zest. Serve, warm or chilled, in dessert cups, topped with Greek yogurt and honey, if you like.
- prep 15 mins; cook 15-20 mins
Creamy Apricot Compote: Bring 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add 1lb (450g) halved and pitted ripe apricots. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until tender but still holding their shape. Stir in 1/4 cup heavy cream. Top each serving with toasted sliced almonds.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!