Spicy Winter Bread Pudding
On a fall or winter night or after a holiday dinner, this fruity dessert made with healthy whole-wheat bread will thrill your guests.
Serves: serves 4
- 11/4 cups apple juice
- 4 cloves
- a little freshly grated ginger, or 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- good pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 8 oz (250 g) assorted pitted or seedless dried fruit (prunes, apricots, raisins, apples, pears, etc.), washed
- twist of lemon peel
- 8-10 pieces whole-wheat bread, thinly sliced and lightly buttered, crusts removed
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the apple juice with the cloves, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey.
- When it is boiling, add the fruit and the lemon peel and simmer very gently for about 25 minutes or until the fruit is soft. Drain, saving the juices.
- Meanwhile, grease a heatproof dish, then line with thin slices of bread.
- Fill with the fruit mixture, top with more bread, and pour on enough of the cooking liquid to saturate the bread.
- Sprinkle the top with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Pour the remaining cooking liquid over the pudding.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!