Buttery rings sandwiched together with preserves, these are also called Ischl tartlets
Prep Time: prep 30 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 9 large cookies
- 8 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 / 3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 / 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1 / 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 / 4 tsp salt
- 2 / 3 cup raspberry or strawberry preserves
- confectioner's sugar, for sifting
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and beat again until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg and vanilla. Sift in the flour and salt and stir until combined. The dough must be firm enough to roll out; add more flour, if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 375癋 (190癈). Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4in (5mm) thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a fluted 3in (7.5cm) cookie cutter, gathering and rerolling the trimmings as needed, cut out 18 rounds. Using a plain 1in (2.5cm) cookie cutter, cut the centers out of 9 of the rounds.
- Place the rounds on the baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, until the cookies are pale golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Spread each of the solid cookies with about 1 tbsp of the preserves. Top each with a cut-out cookie. Sift confectioner's sugar over the cookies and serve.
- prep 30 mins; cook 10 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!